Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Another Sleep Regression Cycle

We have officially entered the 8th/9th month Sleep Regression cycle.  It's 8 pm, and by this time usually Abigail has been asleep for over an hour.  Instead, as I type, she is crying and fighting sleep.  I have already been to her room once.  I picked her up, and she kicked and screamed even louder.  I put her down, sushed her, pet her little head for a few minutes.  She cried on and off, but nothing calms her down, except for maybe letting her do whatever she pleases.  But, we are tired.  I have been running after her all day, I am pooped.  

I keep telling myself: "This too shall pass," but while you are smack in the middle of it, you just furiously count the days you will have to put up with this and it only makes you madder.  I am not mad at Abbie, of course.  She is leaping forward, learning to be mobile, exploring her world. She has no time to waste on sleep.  And I totally understand it.  On top of it, she has six teeth coming in at the same time...  Still, it's hard.  It took me so long to train her to sleep well, and she did become such a good little sleeper. Used to go down wide awake for her nap, not a peep from her, and sleep for an hour and a half, twice a day.  Now, it's a constant battle.


My goal is to make it through this without relapsing in bad habits, and keeping her schedule.  I am going to have to go through re-training her, and she will have to go through it just as much.  It makes me mad.  The poor kid has enough on her plate, why couldn't nature design this better?  More physical exercise = being more tired = welcoming sleep.  Simple, right?  My little 38 weeks old sweet pea...  I feel so sorry for her, I only wish I could make it better.  But I am confronted with the worst part of my new reality: that I won't always be able to...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter and son went through the same thing around nine months. Laurie is now three years old and Sam five, and there have been other similar set-backs. Good luck, I know how frustrating it is, but as you say "this too shall pass." Don't doubt it.
Yours is a beautiful baby! I'll keep on checking this blog for any updates. Oh: and great links.
Shanna, mother of Laurie and Sam.

Carole said...

Shanna! Long time no "see"! Lots of love to you, Laurie and Sam.
I'll see you you know where! And let's try not to have too much fun!
Carol

Anonymous said...

I was surfing the net for something that would explain our son's problems with sleep as of lately, and I happened to see this post. Thanks for the links as well. It has helped to shed a light on the problem.
Robert Kudowski