Friday, December 19, 2008

Quiet Reading Time

It's funny how time-tested, tried-and-true routines can still evolve, especially with Abbie.

For a long time, our evening routine after Abbie's bath was for me to change her into her "night-night" clothes while she lay on her comfy changing pillow on the floor. In order to distract her and give her something to do, I'd give her a book or two (usually small board books from her Dick and Jane Collection - she loves the Daddy book!) After dressing her, I'd sidle up next to her and read to her whichever book she was looking at. As most parents know, especially with a child's favorite book, you can almost recite word-for-word each page.

Well, last week, this little routine turned into "Abbie and Daddy's Quiet Time of Reading and Reflection." I lay down next to her as usual, getting ready to read to her, when I noticed how engrossed in "Spot" from the Dick and Jane Collection she was. She was studying each picture and "tapping" the occasional object on the page, just to emphasise a point known only to her.

Not wanting to interrupt this internal intellectual discovery of hers, I decided to grab another book, and read to myself. Now most times, if I had a book, she'd put down hers and look at or grab mine. Or, she'd shove her's in my direction, indicating "read this one to me!" But this time, and each night since, she continued studying her book - slowly turning the pages and "tapping" the seemingly random objects. Occasionally, she'd mumble something to her herself.

So now, the new routine is to just let her keep reading her own book. I'll pick up another and read quietly myself - occasionally tapping an object, or mumbling something about what is happening in the picture. Abbie will sometimes turn my way, glance at the item of interest, then look at me in a show of approval or modest acknowledgement, then return to her own study. Occasionally we'll swap books - after all we both want to be well-rounded!

I'll still read to her, surely. But little Miss Independent Study is certainly excelling in her newfound Intellectuality. I hope she continues it for a long time to come.


No comments: