Thursday, November 6, 2008

Electoral Abbie

We have found out that Abigail is a political animal. It must be in her blood, and this time she gets her fiery, combative style from my genetic code (hard to think she actually gets something from ME!).

And, apparently, she is a devoted Democrat.

I have tried to watch the political debates and speeches on TV as often as possible during the presidential campaign. And that's when I noticed a trend in Abigail's behavior and reactions. Every time I tuned in to the Republicans' campaign, she'd take a look at the screen and simply walk away, unfazed. But when the Democrats' campaign was on, she'd watch, pointing at the TV, and vocalizing a whole array of personal opinions: rebutting, endorsing or adding important details to the speech at hand. At times she'd giggle and join in the clapping and cheering (by pseudo-dancing).

For those of you who think that she was mimicking her parents behavior and reactions, think again. Neither Christopher or I had any particular reaction while watching the debates/campaigning, most of the times Abbie was already in bed.

I have explained to Abigail why I would watch so much TV in this case, and the process of electing a new President. I have also explained to her who was who during this presidential campaign: 'That's Barack, he wants to become the new president, he is Democrat'; 'That's John, he wants to be the new president too, he's Republican'. I told her that by the time she turns 18 she too will have the right to vote and express her support for the candidate of her choosing.

Something must have sank in, because on the day of the election, she walked around the house waving my little American Flag (missed photo op!!!) and then pontificated about the importance of voting.


She scoffed and acted horrified when I told her that many people don't believe their vote makes a difference, and therefore some choose not to vote.


In the end, I think she was just happy that she could be part of the process this time around, and able to put her two cents in.

One way or the other, that is.

No comments: