Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Strawberry Fields Forever

Abigail has started to develop some very identifiable likes and dislikes when it comes to food. In general, she is a very good eater, I have no cause for complaints. Regardless, there are some things that will come out of her mouth as fast as I try to stick them in. Such dreadful food items include carrots, most red meats, sweet potatoes, raw apples.

On the other hand, Abbie simply loves avocados, fish, chicken, kiwis, mangos, bananas, cherries, tomatoes, leeks, cheese (any kind), toast, spinach, yogurt, peas and more. She could literally eat large quantities of any of these items. She will tolerate (to a certain extend) broccoli, asparagus, some types of red meat and cereal.

What's funny about her taste in food is that she likes things I would never in a million years have thought she'd eat. For example, she loves pesto pasta, and cilantro rice. Just preys upon them voraciously. And another thing... the triple berry juice. Nothing compares to the berry juice that I prepare for her at dinner time. I am starting to consider it a big mistake, because in the last two days she would have nothing at all for dinner except for her berry juice. Also, she will only drink it from a regular glass, which is not a problem per se since she is very good at it, but naturally adds to "The Berry Juice Experience." It started out as something that I prepared for myself, and let her have a taste of. I was hesitant, in case of allergic reactions. But it went well. More so, it was love at first tastebud. I thought: "what a fast and convenient way to get her to eat so many types of fruit!" Yeah, right? Little did I know that she would, at dinner time, arbitrarily spit everything out while pointing at the juice. We tried hiding it from her until she has eaten something, but the trick doesn't work. The kid is ahead of us every step of the way: Abbie knows the juice is somewhere - she heard the blender go off. And she knows we'll eventually cave in. The whole Berry Juice Experience comes with soundtrack and special effects: a chorus of "mmmmmmmm!" will emanate from Abigail, as she drinks it and smacks her lips.

I wonder if it would be possible for anyone to live exclusively off of berries and milk? I better start researching this.

4 comments:

Christopher said...

I'm so glad my little girl is a health nut! I hope she keeps it up. I think her first word will be "avocado."

Carole said...

... or, it might be berry!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I have to give my kid some juice too . . . he will eat pasta and chicken; that's it! Fun!

Danie said...

my son will NOT drink juice. water, sometimes. otherwise, just milk. GOAT milk, because he can't handle cow milk proteins. go figure--these kiddos just know exactly what they want, don't they!!