Saturday, September 20, 2008

Demystifying the Laptop

I gave up. I let Abbie take full control of the laptop. Since she was a tiny little thing, Abigail has always shown a certain keen interest for my laptop. When she was much smaller, she used to stare at it and reach for it, and even when she was yet incapable of rolling over, she'd try her darndest to get her tiny hands on it.

One thing I believe catches her attention is her own picture: I always had pictures of Abigail as my wallpaper. But the laptop allure goes beyond that, far beyond that. It's a mystical attraction, a total eclipse of the heart. Abbie is in love with it: so many buttons to press, so many noises and beeps, a nice thick electrical cord, all these different lights and colors, and her picture smack in the center of it all. How can anyone resist that! Come on!

Whatever the reason, I can never, ever, get my laptop without her dropping whatever she is doing to come see the magical, much coveted item. So, I decided to let her figure out for herself how much fun a laptop can really be. Right.

She happily slammed the keys, tried to bend the screen down, and had the greatest of times. She talked to it, much like I do sometimes when it doesn't do what I want it to do. She attempted to lick or chew the screen, and even used the laptop as a chair. To her, it was a dream come true.

Abbie played with my laptop for quite some time. She closed it, and then demanded that I open it again. Here is a video with a few excerpts. In the end it all got old - Abigail up and left, zeroing in on other toys, leaving the laptop behind, never to look for it again.

Finally.

No comments: