Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Eureka! Please and Help are now official!

Abbie is learning the power of the magic Words: "Please" and "Help". She's learning that she gets farther by saying "please" (pease) or "help" (hep) rather that screaming/pointing when she wants something or grunting when she can't get something done.

She is also learning that these two powerful words can be used reciprocally: she can ask for help and get it, and when we can ask her for help, it means that we need her to do something for us.

Tonight, while lying on my back and watching her play, I had her little rubber ball in my hands. She came over to get it, and while she was reaching for it, she said: "Ball, pease? Pease?". After a while, she moved on to another toy, and I grabbed the ball again and began to toss it in the air. I missed catching the ball which rolled away from me. I attempted to reach for it, while saying, "Help! Help!". Abbie came to the rescue by running over to the ball, repeating "Hep! Hep!". She picked it up and brought it to me. Then trotted away, smiling with the pride of knowing she did something good.

I know it's not much, but here is to hope! "Thank you" is next on my list!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Good Job there!