Saturday, July 12, 2008

The many (nick)names of Abigail

It's time we talked about Abbie's nicknames. She has a lot of them, and most are based on some traits of her ever emerging personality.

She was, almost from day one, "cipi-cipi (see how it all begun)" (pronounced "cheepie-cheepie", with an italian accent!), a term of endearment that popped into my head one day. I was looking at her, and she seemed so small, so tiny, and I just randomly said, "awwww, cipi-cipi!". It stuck, not because it means anything, but because she always responded to it by paying attention and turning to face anyone who used it.

She is called "Chirping Bird", "Little Birdie", "Tweety Bird", "Squeaky Toy". This is the reason why.

Then we have "The Scream-a-nator".

After you sampled these clips the nicknames don't require further explanations, I know, but as a side note, Abigail has *always*, and I mean *always*, made those kind of sounds! While she was visiting her family in Italy, our Little Birdie loved to spend a considerable amount of time screaming at the top of her lungs, smiling broadly. Then she'd look at you with an impish look as if saying: "see what I can do?!?" She's always liked to push the envelope when it comes to her vocal abilities. When she is excited, happy, curious, looking for attention, startled, she will chirp away. Abbie has never been shy about expressing what's on her mind. That's my girl!

Another of her commonly used names is "Peanut", her daddy calls her that. It started when he saw her during one of our many ultrasound sessions (awwww, Peanut was still in the tummy!). She was indeed curled up like a peanut.

Abigail also knows that she is "Little Monkey". I call her that because she is *so* curious and always getting into everything, just like an intrepid little monkey. She also tries to climb on everything that's taller than she is, and likes to be swung up and down by her arms.

"Chatter Box" is often used, too. Well, she *is* a chatterbox! She is always talking, making sounds, blabbing to herself or to anyone who'll listen... I love it. I know she will start forming real words, eventually (for now she says HI when greeting someone), but right now I am enjoying every little sound that comes out of her, it's so adorable, she sounds so cute, with her little baby voice...! I record her every chance I get. This is not the most demonstrative excerpt, but it will have to do (but, bonus!, you can finally hear her call me by my "name" - Ahta'):


Among her nicknames, "Miss Intellectual" ranks kind of high in the hit-list. She loves books. She really does. She wants you to read them to her, she goes and gets them herself, scrutinizes them, points at their pictures, words, turns the pages at the exact times they need to be turned. She is entertained by books for long periods of time, every day.

"The Kissy Monster" might even be number one. She loves to kiss. She will slobber your cheeks, arms, shoulders, neck every chance she gets. I love when she kisses my cheek because, usually, she will also hug me tight. My sweet little girl... !

Right after that, comes "Silly Gosling". There are several reasons behind it. One is related to the series of books by Olivier Dunrea, which she loves. The books are about these goslings (Gossie, Ollie, Gertie, Boo Boo, Peedie) and their adventures. The second reason is because, well, Abbie is just so "silly", in the comical sense. She is so funny, with her babyish mannerisms and bubbly personality!

Also, she is known in the neighborhood as the "Little Swimmer". That's, of course, because she loves to "swim". I/we take her to the pool virtually every day, and she will not get into her baby-floater: instead she wants you to hold her by her sides while she shakes her little legs and arms around. She also loves to simply splash in the water, but we don't have a special nickname for that. Yet.

Lastly, but certainly not least, is "Gadget Freak". I think my very first post on this blog was about her unwavering passion for anything "gadgety": remotes, phones, cellphones, cameras, laptops... She has always been that way. When she was about two months old, it was practically impossible for me to take pictures of her unawares. If she was doing something cute I wanted to immortalize, she would stop as soon as I got out the camera, and reach for it. She still does. Now she will strike a pose, too!

But, of all her many names, my very favorites are "My Baby Girl", or "My Little Sunshine". That says it all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Questo post mi ha veramente fatto morire dal ridere! Carino!
P

Anonymous said...

Cute! My name is Abigial too!