Thursday, October 23, 2008

Quarterback Abbie

Today was an important day in Abigail's life. Her daddy took her to the park, where there is a practice field for local football teams, and she decidedly expressed interest in trying out for a (any) team. As a matter of fact, she didn't limit herself to ask her daddy if she could: she just went ahead and showed her bravery at tackling and blocking. She ran, picked up fights with block-dummies (they ARE the opposing team, duh!), and tried to make it to the goal line on several occasions, unabated. For being the offspring of completely football-uninterested parents, Abigail showed not only prowess and great ability at the game, but also an incredible understanding of how it works. Regardless of the fact that she didn't have a ball. What do you expect, she's only 14 months old, give me a break!

Definition of Football Widow: someone wisely said - "During football season, throngs of men thrive on nachos and “brewskis” and intentionally ignore their best interests -- their wives." I wonder if I will become a football widow, too... except I still will have the husband, but the child will be on the field, fighting the good fight.

In the spirit of the game (yeah, right?) and to show her my support, I decided that I should get acquainted with the sport itself and proper terminology. So I did a little research. This is what I understood about it so far.

Football Game -- A physical challenge, played by two opposing groups that strive to look as if they’ve tripled their upper body bulk. This effect is achieved through the use of props, though the use of steroids has also been proven effective for proper bodily inflation. Players have shriveled little legs (but only because their shoulders look SO big), and small little heads (again, a quirky effect of the shoulder enhancement). They use those legs to run about a big green field throwing themselves at each other, seemingly under the spell of an inflated piece of pigskin which possesses the key to eternal salvation, or perhaps the answer to all human queries.

Game Day -- The day you know you'll have the house all to yourself, except, of course, the big screen TV room.

Fourth and One -- A period of seconds preceding either an eruptive scream of jubilation (like YES! or WE WON! or something along victorious lines) or a dangerous time for anyone or anything within kicking radious.



After learning so much about this sport, I am unsure about Abbie's marked interest in it... Really. 

I think Abigail is under the impression that she will succeed at her new enterprise, and who am I to stand between her and her dreams... But, I have to admit: I was hoping for soccer.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

roflmao! I'm with you, sister!

Anonymous said...

Eh si, il Calcio sarebbe meglio!