Friday, June 6, 2008

The Teaser Becomes the Teased

I've always found joy in teasing kids. Weird little pranks on kids, mainly for my own amusement. Most of the time though the Laughs-To-Trouble ratio has been very disproportionate. I've gotten into serious trouble with some of my teases, innocent in intent as they were.

But now the table has turned, and Abbie has put me in my place. I've never met anyone who teases me as much... and gets me every time! I'm such a sucker. And she's not even a year old.

The first tease is one I've mentioned before: the "Head Shakey-Shake." Abbie and I have storytime before she goes to bed, where I will lay next to her and read stories to her. Half-way through yet another rendition of The Going to Bed Book, Abbie will turn to me and get a big grin on her face. Then she will shake her head back and forth quickly several times. Then she'll stop, turn and look at me, still with the big grin. That's my cue to do the same. I'll shake my head back and forth several times, then stop and grin at her. Then she picks it up and shakes her head again and again.

This will go on for a minute until one of us gets a headache - usually me. It's not until later that I realize she's suckering me into shaking my head and rejoicing in my reaction.

The next gambit is literally called, "The Sucker." On random times when I'm holding her, she'll turn and glom onto my cheek. Once attached, she'll make a "wa wa wa" sound as she mouths my cheek. I then giggle with glee and this cute little act.

But then... out comes the we slobbery tongue. I immediately recoil: "Ewww! Baby drool!" With the sour expression still on my face, she'll pull back and grin at me with her tongue out, blowing a razberry. She just loves to gross me out on that one.

There are many other little games and pranks she plays on me. I wonder how she got so clever, and more importantly, why I *always* fall for them! Just goes to show - what goes around comes around! I'm just wondering what she has in store for her prey as she gets older!

1 comment:

Carole said...

I have seen this teasing game of yours! Now she does it to me too. And she engages me in the piggy-piggy-piggy game as well while I feed her: she'll touch my nose with the tip of her index finger, all the while smiling big, and wait for me to go "piggy-piggy-piggy", then she'll laugh!