Thursday, June 12, 2008

Every Rose has its Thorns

This was one of the hardest mornings I have had with Abigail since her birth. One where everything that could go wrong did, and one where nothing I tried made things better for either Abbie or myself. "Her teething is out of control", I tell myself as a consolation, or better yet, as a justification for how hard to handle she was all morning. The fact that her teething really *is* out of control is actually secondary to the relief it provides when compared to my irrational fears: is this her true self? Is this what she is going to develop into? How am I going to handle it? Will I be able to handle it?

The whiny, unhappy, tantrummy kid that would barely take a breather in between cries was a nightmare to me. We both cried: she out of... random "babyness", I guess, and physical discomfort. I cried out of frustration and physical pain, since she bit my cheek so hard she actually broke through the skin and I bled. I tried to hide my tears from her, but I cried for quite a while.

This morning, when confronted with Abigail at her worst, I recoiled in bewilderment. I looked at things with such a different attitude, that I am ashamed of myself. I saw myself sitting on the floor trying to come up with things to distract her and provide whatever comfort I can, and thought: "Wow. Bet you didn't think about this when you decided to have a kid, huh? Now there you are, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it! Did you ever think you'd be at the age you are at, and have your life run by a nine month old? Bet not".

What am I, a fair-weather mother? Do I regret having had Abigail? And the answer to the latter is a rotund NO. I am not, I could never be. Yet, I find it so hard to reconcile, at times, the utter and passionate love that I feel for her with the desperation that, if only for a moment, overcomes me. I knew it would not be easy, as independent as I am. I was aware that it would not be all peaches and cream. I am not a fool, nor do I wear rose-colored glasses. My struggle is purely emotional, when I feel I'd rather be doing anything else but dealing with a baby who is having a fit, a baby that I love more than life itself. It seems so inconsistent and contradictory...

Are there any other degenerate mothers, out there? Am I the only one who feels this nonsensical way? Probably.
But today, after I put her to bed for her nap and run a quick checklist of the events of the day, I realized that motherhood does not fit me like a glove: I hate the constant battles -- to feed her, to change her diaper, to fit the schedule, to make her take a nap. Maybe accepting these shortcomings of mine as a mother, is the first step to help me through the hard moments, for which I have not developed a thick skin yet.

As I looked at myself in the mirror I saw my puffy cheek, my red eyes, my unkempt hair, and how old I feel and look. I could barely recognize myself. I don't know where I went.

Abbie, my love, when and if you will ever read these words, just remember one simple truth: it wasn't always a walk in the park for you and I. But I get up every morning at the very first sound you make willing and yearning to take that walk. And that says a lot more than what I have written up until now: that I love you. Because I would never -- never had -- stick with what I don't like, can't accept, and makes me unhappy. My life is a blatant example of the fact that I will not be tied down to anything or anyone that makes me miserable. I don't spend every day with you out of duty, but out of love. When push comes to shove, honey, this is the only thing that really matters.

I had to let it out.

In the 20 minutes it took me to write this, I have already looked at the clock twice, wondering when my daughter will wake up, so I can scoop her up in my arms, and make the best out of the remainder of the day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My english is not too good, but I felt emotions for reading the post. I know what you feel. I am a mom too, and I felt sad too for reasons the same as what you express. You seem a good mom and love your daughter. She knows. You know too, this passes.
We say in French:
“L’avenir nous tourmente, le passé nous retient, c’est pour ça que le présent nous échappe.”
Some times future is scary because we are afraid of our mistakes, the past is uor prison, and so we miss the present. Don't fear the past or the future, but live and love every day! I hope I made sense!
C'est une très beau blog, mon amie.

Carole said...

Dear Therese: Your English is good, actually, I completely understood you. And I agree with you.

Merci beaucoup pour ton commentaire sur mon blog. Je vraiment apprecie tes mots aimables. Tes mots me font sourire! J'espere que vous reviendrez bientot parcourir mon histoire d'amour avec ma jolie princesse, ma fille.
Amicalement, Carole :)

Anonymous said...

I 've had many days like that with my kids!! Kids can bring forth the best and the worst in you. Your baby is adorable, and I am sure she will stay as cute and as sweet as she looks! Just an itty bitty precious girl.
I love your blog.
Kat'rina

Anonymous said...

Hi nice and sweet baby....and nice blog and very interesting to read...

Thanks for the comment on my blog.. :)

Anonymous said...

I sure can commiserate. I have felt that way many times with both my kids. Motherhood is not easy, no matter what people think or say, and when I hear "how hard could it be?," I feel like saying: "harder than anything else you'll ever do!"
You'll have other days like this one, many, but each one will be rewarded by so much joy, you'll soon forget!
*smooch* Shanna