Monday, July 6, 2009

Uh… Hello?

P1000597 During the last few weeks, Carol and I have been teaching Abbie our first names. She asks her, “Abbie? What’s daddy’s name?” and Abbie replies, “CHREES-o-fur!” When I ask her mommy's name, she whispers, “CAH-rol”  She whispers it because when I first started to teach her, I would whisper it into her ear as a hint. However, she thought that’s how you had to say it… in a whisper.

I should have known, since she does that with other hints I whisper to her.

Anyway, I’ve explained many times here before how much I love to tease her. It’s hard coming up with fun and silly ways to tease her because… well, she’s just a chip off the old block… she’s always two steps ahead, and it usually backfires on me.

So tonight, during our usual nighttime routine, she sat in my lap comfortably while I fed her her bottle of milk.  While she was quietly sipping away, I thought I’d close my eyes, make little snoring sounds and pretend I was sleeping. I wanted to see what she’d do.

I cracked my eyes open a little to see her. I saw two bright eyes looking at me, blinking. After a few seconds of her studying my face and watching me “sleep”, I heard her little voice whisper with the bottle still in her mouth, “CHREES-o-fer… blabble, flabble, wabble, flooble, habble… brush-a-TEEF!”

Apparently, she thought I was really asleep and that I’d forgotten that, after her milk, I was supposed to take her in to the bathroom to brush her teeth. The little pipsqueak was gently waking me up and reminding me.

Good thing she’s looking after me!

No comments: