Sunday, March 1, 2009

Imitation... sometimes the silliest form of flattery

Abbie's been in that stage for a while where she imitates everything she hears. It's great because it really gives you an insight into what she's thinking - about her world and how she understands it. Children are so unique in how they process life around them.

Just an example from my own life: when I was 5 or 6, I remember riding in the back of our huge 1970 Chevrolet Impala. I studied how my mom was driving on the freeway - navigating back and forth from lane to lane. I finally had to break down and admit to her that I would never learn to drive because I could never remember all of those places to change lanes!

Anyway, Abbie has been giving us lots of joy and funny moments like this as she absorbs and responds to what's happening around her. The other day I was walking her and Shelby outside our home. A man and his dog came around the corner about 40 feet in front of us. Now usually I can spot these potential trouble incidents with Shelby before she notices. When Shelby sees people or another dog, she barks and barks and tries to charge at the offending human or animal. She doesn't want to attack, just... well, who the heck knows WHAT she's thinking? But if I can spot these things in time, I can steer her in another direction in order to avoid the confrontation.

But this time, as is sometimes the case, the confrontation was unavoidable. Shelby saw the man and the dog and began to bark and lunge at the "intruders." Seeing Shelby do this, Abbie decided she needed to take action as well and follow suit. So she stopped in her tracks, clenched her fits and began to yell, "Roof roof roof!" at the man and his dog in her tiny little voice.

I couldn't help but laugh. I can only image what the man must have been thinking - let alone the dog!

When all is said and done at the end of a long day with Abbie, it's the moments like this - and there are many - that make it worthwhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I'd been there to witness that! I love you Abbie!