Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A day with Auntie Annabella

Abigail has heard of the phantomatic "Autie Annabella" before. She has seen pictures of me and Annabella when we were younger (much younger!). But today she had a special treat: she actually got to meet her Zia Annabella!

Annabella and her husband Camille are here in Virginia for a few days, and they came by to visit and meet our little birdie. At first, Abbie was a little taken aback. She is not used to "strangers" coming by the house often. But soon enough she warmed up to the idea of two completely unknown people sitting in her living room. She played and rejoiced in the new, soft giraffe that they brought her.

Annabella and I had a nice time chatting and catching up. It had been two years since she left the US, a long, long time. Abbie did not get to play much with Annabella, for which I do feel bad. But we had so much to catch up on, so many things to tell each other, that time flew by in a heartbeat while we monopolized one another's attention. Abbie made a little fuss occasionally, but was really good at entertaining herself, too. She pointed at Annabella and Camille, and I tried to explain to her who they were. She smiled and chatted, and checked them out. I noticed that she was really curious about them, and I wonder if it had anything to do with my own excitement: maybe she sensed that these people were special, out of the ordinary. She is very connected with me, and I am sure that she can discern when things are more or less important. She is such a good baby :)

I hope that we will get another chance to meet before they leave for France... It's always hard to say goodbye. But regardless, today was a special day, because my friend of over 20 years met my daughter for the very first time, and vice versa.

Indeed - a very special day, unlike any others.


No comments: